Indoor plants can decorate a home and create a special atmosphere in it. But, unfortunately, there are a fairly large number of ornamental houseplants, which, despite their attractive appearance, can be dangerous to humans and animals. These plants are not recommended to be kept in homes where there are children and pets, and when working with them, increased safety measures should be observed.
Most often, hydrangea can be found on the street and in gardens, but sometimes it is also grown at home on the windowsill. All parts of the plant contain poisonous cyanides, the ingestion of which can lead to increased sweating, weakness, nausea, and stomach pain. Touching the plant cannot do harm.
Crinum and hippeastrum
Two similar plants contain toxic substances. It is known that krinum poison - krinin is used to control rodents.
A large beautiful plant, so beloved by flower growers, can really become a decoration of a home garden. You should know that the sap of the plant is poisonous and can cause burns on the skin and mucous membranes.
The plant, also known as king lily, contains the highly toxic alkaloid colchicine. If only 6 mg of this poison gets into the human body, it can be fatal.
Almost all types of unpretentious begonias are safe for humans. The exception is ever-flowering begonia and its hybrids (Senator, Emperor, Queen and others). The poison is found in all parts of the plant.
Decorative anthurium juice is poisonous. It contains harmful calcium oxalate crystals, the contact of which on the skin leads to severe irritation and destruction of the tissues of the mucous membranes.
A plant that pleases with luxurious flowering from late autumn to mid-winter, unfortunately, is poisonous. Its underground tubers contain a toxic substance that, if it gets on the skin, causes severe itching and redness. When transplanting cyclamens, you should be very careful. It is recommended to wear gloves.
Unusual exotic adenium is known for the fact that African tribes used its juice to poison arrowheads. Toxic substances are found in all parts of the plant, but milky sap is especially dangerous.
The beautiful plant, which is often used in landscape design, contains poisonous glycosides that can disrupt the work of the heart, cause vomiting, severe stomach pain and visual disturbances. What's more, the flowers have a strong odor that can cause headaches.
According to research, this plant is able to improve the chemical composition of indoor air. However, the juice contained in the leaves and stems is poisonous. Its ingestion can lead to disruption of the digestive tract and respiratory system. And if it comes into contact with the skin, the juice causes severe burns.
Croton, like other representatives of the Euphorbia family, is poisonous. The sap of the plant, which is released if a leaf or stem is broken, can cause severe burns. Croton seeds also contain toxic substances.
A charming azalea with beautiful leaves and flowers is a poisonous plant. Its leaves and flower nectar contain the toxic substance andromedotoxin glycoside. When it enters the body of a person or animals, the poison first excites and then depresses the nervous system, which can lead to a sad outcome. In case of poisoning with azalea poison, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, heart rhythm disturbances occur. If you still want the azalea to decorate your home and purify the air, keep the plant out of the reach of children and animals.