Today, more and more often in newspapers and on the Internet you can see ads with the heading "I knit to order". Many are also fond of home knitting, especially mothers on maternity leave. Indeed, handmade products look unusual, models that are unlike each other attract with their originality.
Interestingly, crochet originated about 4000 years ago, and at that time it was widespread as a kind of embroidery. The hook was successfully replaced by a thin stick, the end of which later acquired a curved shape. This type of knitting was mainly practiced by the stronger sex, the monks were famous for the art of knitting the most beautiful openwork cotton things. European women were completely forbidden to take the hook in their hands.
Basic knowledge for beginners
Only regular practice in this type of needlework will help you easily navigate the question "How to learn to crochet?" Beginners need to remember a few basic rules:
- Girls who are fond of any kind of hand-made are often mistaken, expecting that the very first product will turn out beautiful. Do not forget - it takes time to get used to the hook (as well as to any other working tool). Stuff your hand on flat, non-bulky items, for example, start by knitting a square rug or simple napkins.
- Knitting is a painstaking work that requires perseverance and patience. At the initial stage, your eyes may hurt, your back and hands may ache. If you are tired, take a break. Work for your own pleasure, and then you will not have to force yourself to get down to needlework every time.
- If a knowledgeable person can suggest knitting techniques, do not hesitate to contact him for help. Visual material is much easier to learn. In the crochet technique, it is enough to familiarize yourself with several types of loops and be able to read patterns. For beginners, it is better to use videos on the Internet; video tutorials that can be downloaded on special sites for free will become a good educational help.
- The selection of tools is an important component of knitting; you need to approach the choice of yarn equally responsibly. You can purchase tools at your nearest fabric store or craft store. At the learning stage, you will need thread (preferably cotton) and a crochet hook. Experienced masters also have in their arsenal:
- hooks of different sizes, depending on the thickness of the yarn;
- needles for sewing together individual parts of the product;
- pins, preferably with a bright tip;
- well sharpened scissors;
- tape measure.
How to choose a crochet hook and yarn
Different crochet hooks may be required when knitting, depending on the pattern and thickness of the product. I must say that each hook has its own advantages and disadvantages. Plastic ones have electrostatic stress, bone ones are short-lived, wooden ones have irregularities, acrylic ones are fragile. There are also bamboo hooks - lightweight and very comfortable, the so-called summer version. But finding an instrument made from this material on the market can be difficult. Therefore, a widespread metal tool (steel or aluminum) is in great demand. Even if the surface of such a hook is not completely flat, this flaw can be easily corrected with a piece of sandpaper.
Also, the tool is short and long, measured in numbers from 1 to 15. The US mark means that you have an American hook.
See also: Description and patterns for knitting toys
Hooks number 2 and number 3 are most suitable for a beginner. Focus on practicality, ease of knitting with a tool and do not pay attention to the appearance. Buy a hook according to the recommendations:
- It should not be too sharp to avoid injury to the knitter.
- Choose a slim tool with the most comfortable grip.
- Any roughness can ruin the yarn and even tear the fabric.
- For light yarn, an aluminum crochet hook will not work, which can dye the thing.
Trainees should begin to practice knitting mercerized cotton yarn, which does not split into multiple strands and is never twisted.
In other cases, any material will do: silk, linen, cotton or wool. Buy yarn with a thickness that matches the thickness of the tool. Do not throw away labels from skeins of thread that contain helpful information on handling and washing your finished garment. Knitted items are also not recommended to be washed in an automatic machine. Such washing, as well as drying on a hanger, can significantly distort the original appearance. Lay a thick towel on the desk and place the item on top, let it dry naturally.
Where to start knitting
To get started, you need to learn how to hold the knitting tools in your hands. Position the hook in your hand as if you were holding a handle, with the folded end pointing straight in your direction. When knitting a loop, "secure" the loose part of the thread with your thumb, support the missing part with your other fingers so that the yarn is slightly stretched, and the formed loops are of equal size. Do not squeeze the hook with urine, otherwise the hand will quickly get tired.
Crochet technique is based on just three knitting techniques: air loop, single crochet and double crochet. It will not be difficult to learn how to read diagrams, where each loop has its own sign by default. The circular pattern is read, starting from the center, according to this principle, they knit a flower. On the straight diagram, the first row of loops is displayed in the bottom row, the second row in the second row, and then in ascending order.
Having studied the above knitting basics, you can easily learn how to create beauty with your own hands.