Well, to be honest, when I remodeled the closet two years ago, we didn't have Martin yet. He participated only in the final stage. But for the generality of my topics, the name will be like this)))
* My previous topic "How Martin and I Reimagined the Kitchen"
When I bought an apartment, I got such a closet in the corridor, the former owners decided not to take it (it is troublesome to disassemble and transport it).
I do not like these colors of wood. And I also think that corner open shelves are not practical - they only collect dust and a bunch of junk in plain sight.
Corner shelves in the hallway are very handy. Especially the shelf next to the mirror. You just cluttered it. And a bunch of junk and mess now appeared on the same shelves, only behind the doors.
The color of the cabinet has become very gloomy and does not harmonize with either the color of the floor or the color of the doors. If the repair budget is completely limited - well, the handles on the cabinet doors would be changed to more stylish ones.
I do not share the general admiration for the rework - functionality and comfort have not increased.
I decided to change the cabinet. At first, I considered the option to change completely to a wardrobe. After drawing up the estimate, I refused this idea.
The next idea was to remove the doors and throw the rails on the floor and ceiling and let the beautiful sliding doors run along them. But it turned out that my ceiling and floor are not parallel (!!!). Well damn it! And just the price for the compartment doors was also not merciful.
For more than 20 years I have met parallel ones only once. Only this is by no means a reason to abandon the coupe.
And than to bother with painting laminated chipboard, was it not easier to order a new sheet to cut out on the facades?
After going through a bunch of options, I decided to repaint the facades and visible parts (following the example of the kitchen). And to make some evolutions in the design of the cabinet.
Including change the hinges for new ones with door closers.
For a better understanding, I visualized my idea for a budgetary transformation of the cabinet.
I unscrewed the corner element near the front door and moved it to the opposite side of the cabinet. Where these two sections are combined at the back.
Of course, the main cabinet had to be moved to the left. To do this, she unloaded it as much as possible and, leaning her back against the wall, and with her feet on the end of the cabinet, moved it to the required distance. It was, to put it mildly, not easy.
Having bought laminated chipboard sheets with a cut according to the specified dimensions, I acquired doors and shelves for the newly formed section. The ends are pasted over with an edge.
With the help of shelves, placed on top of the existing ones for simplification, I additionally fastened both sections together.
To hang the doors, I had to learn how to drill holes for the hinges. I practiced on trimming chipboard. And, voila, I mastered another moment from the “husband for an hour” series.
I bought self-tapping screws simultaneously with hinges (they cost a pretty penny with so many doors) and handles for new doors.
The doors were painted in two layers with alkyd enamel Tikkuril Miranol with a foam roller. I caught several arrivals from the fumes.
Now all the junk is hidden.
I made a scratching post for Martin, wrapping a sheet of fiberboard with linen twine. Fastened into the existing holes remaining from the screed of the corner section with the main cabinet.
Martin after sharpening.
Finally I painted the kitchen door and replaced the glass.
The wall is opposite the closet.
For my taste, it turned out to be quite digestible and, most importantly, budget. (I would also change the plinth …)