It's time for the repair and the question arises - again, wallpaper? You can even out all the walls and make modern plaster and paint. But all this will cost a very good pretty penny, and you can forget about self-repair. Without preparation, you will get even more expensive, at the expense of quality is also a big question. The fact is that with such a repair, there are many different nuances. And almost everyone glued the wallpaper. I propose to consider an alternative version of wall covering, quite new and rapidly developing - liquid wallpaper.
Liquid wallpaper combine the best qualities inherent in paper wallpaper, paintwork and decorative plaster. Do not confuse liquid wallpaper with decorative plaster. These are materials that are completely different in composition. Liquid wallpaper is a dry free-flowing substance.
Before applying to the walls, it is brought into a wet state by diluting with a metered portion of water. This wall covering is based on cotton, cellulose, polyester, dyed natural or rayon fibers. It is the fibers that create the effect of a fabric covering on the walls. And the decorative elements contained in them (mother of pearl, shine, marble chips) give the room an extraordinary sophistication and charm.
First, consider the benefits of liquid wallpaper
- New structure and unusual look. Large selection of composition in various variations.
- Ease of application, no careful preparation of the walls is required, most defects and flaws are hidden without any preparation. The coating has no joints, and any gaps are easily filled with this material.
- High wear resistance, practically not susceptible to mechanical damage and other accidental negative influences.
- Do you or someone from your family have allergies? This method of covering walls in an apartment or house is ecological.
- In the case of a new home, you will get rid of distortions and cracks of classic wallpaper or plaster (painting). You know that new houses tend to shrink for several years. (and often decades). Such defects will not affect liquid wallpaper - they will not be visible at all.
- Liquid wallpaper has the ability to maintain humidity in the room due to its porous surface. At high - decrease, at low - increase. A kind of buffer expansion joint. This coating has heat and sound insulating properties, does not attract dust and contains fungicides that prevent dampness and mold.
- Not affected by sunlight and pleasant to the touch. Liquid wallpaper meets all modern fire safety requirements.
- Liquid wallpaper has excellent adhesion to various materials and does not come off during use.
“At the same time, this coating is very easy to remove. It is only necessary to moisten the surface of the walls with water, wait 10-20 minutes and scrape off with a spatula. It is just as easy to repair, if necessary.
Disadvantages of liquid wallpaper
Not particularly found, if this can be attributed to disadvantages, then
- "Drying" your room after coating can take up to 48 hours.
- Do not use liquid wallpaper in a room with very high humidity or direct contact with water. In these cases, tiles are used.
If you have strategically decided on the choice - the second stage is
Buying ready-made liquid wallpaper or cooking yourself
With the first option - purchase, everything is clear, the choice is large. Commercially available liquid wallpaper is a powdery substance packed in a box or bag. They include mica, natural dyes, cellulose, cotton, silk or other fibers, antifungal additives, and an adhesive binder. To give the desired effect, they add gold threads, sparkles of various colors and materials, including mineral components - mother of pearl, mica, mineral chips and various other ingredients.
Instructions for use are always present and quite simple - just stir in a given amount of water. Typically, 1 pack of dry wallpaper mix requires 6 liters of water. It is advisable to mix them manually, because the use of various construction mixers will lead to crumbling of elements and a change in the intended structure of the wallpaper.
The second option is to make your own liquid wallpaper. This option is much cheaper, but, depending on the investment, it can lose in quality. Although this is also a controversial issue - cheap liquid wallpapers will certainly be worse than those prepared on their own. The cooking process is similar to the process of making a hodgepodge. You can use whatever you find. It can be noted, It is also worth noting that it will not take you too much time, some kind of skills and special equipment. You will need a container, for example a basin or a building bucket, and preferably a building mixer if you will make the filler yourself.
Here is a simple recipe for making liquid wallpaper.
The composition has already been considered, it remains to be determined with various options.
The first - adhesive base. Here you can use:
- wallpaper glue CMC, bustilate or any other, dry or liquid; Benefits - Antifungal supplement is already included in this formulation.
- natural adhesive base with natural ingredients; advantages - environmental friendliness.
- acrylic plaster; advantages - no need to varnish from splashing.
Second - options for fillers of the future coating. At a minimum, a wide variety of dyes, as a maximum - everything that could be found, any fibers, sand (marble or quartz), mica, decorative glitter, etc. You can use paper shredded with a mixer.
Let's dwell on the use of paper. As you know, cellulose is a raw material for the production of paper, cardboard, fiberboard and even laminate. In the manufacture of these materials, it is molded and cut into the desired form. At the same time, the original composition of the raw material remains practically unchanged. This allows such products to be recycled many times.
The paper should not be too thick. You can use any suitable waste paper, but make sure that it does not contain any foreign objects: adhesive tape, metal staples, glue residues, ropes, thick cardboard, etc. It is desirable (but not necessary) if the paper will be light. A good option is to use leftover or drafts of office paper.
- First you need to soak the sheets in water. At first, it is necessary to strictly observe the proportion of the components: water and paper, but after several cycles you will be able to follow the recipe using your own experience.
For 40 sheets of standard A4 size, 1.25 liters of water will be optimal. Accordingly, 1 sheet accounts for: 1250/40 = 31.25 ml (we take 30 ml of water).
1 g of dry raw materials accounts for 30/5 = 6 ml of water. With this proportion (rate), you can soak any amount of raw materials. The paper should be completely soaked, soak up the water - this usually takes about 60 minutes.
- Then the contents should be thoroughly mixed using a conventional drill with a special mixer attachment. Attachments are sold at any hardware store.
- Place the resulting granules in a container (plastic bowl or bucket). You can add various other ingredients - fibers, crushed cotton wool, etc. Add water and leave to soak for a few hours.
- After completely soaking, mix the mixture well.
- Next, add glue to this mass (PVA is the best option in this case), as well as gypsum. This will improve the adhesion characteristics of the resulting material. For 40 sheets of paper (200 g), 200 ml of glue is enough, For 5 g of dry raw materials (1 sheet) - 5 g of gypsum or 1: 1.
- After that, the necessary dyes should be added to the adhesive and mixed again. The color must be chosen based on the style of the room and your preferences.You can use different colors in different places.
Applying liquid wallpaper
Preliminary work - preparation of walls
Although liquid wallpaper can be glued to rather unprepared walls, a little preparation is still quite important. Especially when a layer of old wallpaper remains on the walls, or if it is painted with paint, whitewash and other decorative coatings. This coating should be removed as much as possible. After removal, it is advisable to sand the wall with sandpaper. Fill large cracks and crevices, small ones can be left. Prime with wallpaper glue or special mixture if necessary.
Direct application of liquid wallpaper is carried out either manually with a spatula, or using a special hopper gun, into the container of which the prepared mass is loaded and uniformly applied to the surface under air pressure. The gun is used by professional specialists; for home self-application, it is recommended to use a spatula or paint roller. It should be noted that minimal experience is still required. If this is not the case, then start with the places behind furniture or other less noticeable ones.
Try to take into account the volume of the first batch, which should correspond to the selected area. If the wallpaper doesn't want to stick to the wall, you can add a little water.
- It is advisable to have two spatulas: one wide, with which you will apply wallpaper on the wall, and the second narrow - with its help you can apply the working mixture to a wide spatula. This method is also called smoothing.
- The spatula should be held at a slight angle to the surface and try not to press down on the wallpaper too much, otherwise the surface will not turn out to be embossed, and the material consumption will increase significantly.
- You can start from any corner or from the middle of the surface - this does not matter.
- Each new layer is applied in the direction from the clean section of the wall to the already existing layer.
- The movements of the spatula should be comfortable and natural for the hands. It is advisable that the level of gaze corresponded to the level of applying the wallpaper (it is better not to bend over, but to sit down, not stand on tiptoes, but stand on a chair or a ladder).
- The layer should not be very thin, otherwise the wall will show through.
- In order to avoid the formation of visible joints and seams on the surface of the coating, it is necessary to apply the material to the wall as a whole, from corner to corner, without stopping at the part of what has been done. If the wall is large, the drying edge of the previous section is lightly sprayed with water - then the transitions will not be noticeable.
- After applying wallpaper to a certain area, carefully inspect the resulting coating again - it should not show through, have breaks, sagging or bumps. Due to the texture of the material, all the features of the coating are clearly visible even at the stage of application, so they can be easily corrected if necessary.
- After covering the entire wall with the material, you should walk along it with a "spray" and smooth it with a spatula.
- If an error was noticed, then quite simply smear the area a little with warm water and remove the wallpaper from the wall, and then re-sweep it. This procedure can be repeated 1-3 times.
- Liquid wallpaper dries for 1-3 days, it all depends on the humidity and air temperature in the room, as well as the types of wallpaper. During drying, the room should be regularly ventilated.
- After three days, if necessary, the wallpaper can be covered with colorless varnish or acrylic paint.
Maintenance of this attractive and modern surface is also easy. Of course, you do not need to clean such a wall with brushes with stiff bristles or use strong chemicals, as well as a large amount of water. At the same time, caring for liquid wallpaper can be cleaned with a slightly damp cloth, which will be quite enough to remove most of the stubborn dirt.
Sometimes it is necessary to do some kind of additional repair, in which it becomes necessary to remove some section of the wall covering. For example, when repairing or replacing electrical wiring. In such cases, everything is not so difficult. You will need a spatula and a hand-held water spray bottle.
- First of all, you need to remove the liquid wallpaper. In this case, it is not at all necessary to throw them away, since they may be useful to you in the future. Therefore, it is best to temporarily place them in a plastic container.
- Then the necessary repair of the wall or the laying of new electrical wiring is carried out.
- Then proceed to the preparation of the repaired surface - apply a primer. You can use regular wallpaper glue or PVA glue diluted with water. At the same time, it is desirable to apply it in two layers.
- The edges of the liquid wallpaper trim that remain on the wall surface must be moistened with water from a spray bottle or with a brush. This will improve adhesion to the new layer.
- Before applying a new layer of liquid wallpaper, it must, of course, be prepared. For this, it is quite possible to use the old finish, which we originally dismantled. Dissolve in water, add glue base and stir.