Eggplant is amazing vegetables that contain many substances useful for our body. In the cultural traditions of many countries and peoples, there are eggplant dishes. They are always delicious and always attract our gastronomic attention.
Today we will tell you how bake eggplants in Spanish. We usually call these dishes casseroles. In Spanish it is called “pastel de berenchenas”, which translates as “eggplant pie”. And it really looks like a pie and is delicious, satisfying and healthy.
- baking sheet 20 × 30 cm (4-5 servings),
- 3 large eggplants,
- from 250 g (as required) sliced ham (or cut into slices),
- from 250 g (as required) of cheese such as Gouda or Emmental into slicing (or cut into slices),
- 3 eggs,
- 250 ml of milk
- 100 g of grated parmesan or other hard cheese,
- vegetable oil (preferably olive oil for frying), salt, pepper.
- Cut the eggplant into thin slices.
- Pour water into a large bowl and salt well.
- Place the sliced eggplants in this water.
- Soak the eggplants for a while so that the salt water takes away the bitterness.
- Remove the eggplant and pat dry well with a tea towel.
- Fry the eggplants in vegetable oil on both sides until golden brown.
- Place the eggplant on a plate.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Lay out the first layer of eggplant, brush the eggplant with some ketchup.
- Place a thin layer of ham on top and then a layer of cheese.
- Add a second layer of eggplant and brush with some ketchup again.
- Place a layer of ham and a layer of cheese.
- Place the third layer of eggplant, press the entire filling with your hands a little to make the layers thicker.
- In a bowl, beat eggs with milk, salt and pepper.
- Fill the casserole with beaten eggs with milk so that the egg and milk mixture is evenly distributed over the entire area.
- Sprinkle the grated hard cheese evenly over the entire surface.
- Place the baking sheet in a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
What the process looks like, you can watch this video. The video is in Spanish, but now you can understand everything without translation.